
OSOGBO — The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has confirmed placing a restriction on an Osun State Government bank account over an investigation into the alleged diversion of about ₦11 billion in public funds.
The anti-graft agency said the investigation covers ecology funds, intervention funds and allocations received by the state from the Federation Account Allocation Committee.
According to the EFCC, the account was restricted after investigators detected large transfers from government accounts to several companies beginning on August 2, 2026.
The commission said a Post-No-Debit order was placed on the affected account to prevent further withdrawals and safeguard public funds while the investigation continues.
The account, reportedly domiciled with First Bank, is said to receive statutory allocations belonging to the Osun State Government.
Reacting to the development, Governor Ademola Adeleke accused the EFCC of acting unlawfully and politically, particularly because the restriction came shortly before the state’s governorship election.
The governor maintained that the commission froze the account without obtaining a court order and directed the state Attorney-General, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, to challenge the action at the Federal High Court in Osogbo.
The state government warned that the restriction could affect the payment of workers’ salaries and pensions, as well as the funding of healthcare, education and other essential public services.
However, the EFCC denied that its action was politically motivated, insisting that the restriction was necessary to prevent the possible diversion of state funds.
As of the time of filing this report, the account remained restricted, while no court decision had been announced on the state government’s legal challenge

Leave a Reply