PETHS NEWS

“Truth In Every Stream”
·

Osun Poll Aftermath: Police Arrest 295, Release 293 After Screening

OSOGBO, Osun State — The Nigeria Police Force has confirmed the arrest of 295 people in connection with security incidents surrounding the August 15, 2026 Osun State governorship election, as…

OSOGBO, Osun State — The Nigeria Police Force has confirmed the arrest of 295 people in connection with security incidents surrounding the August 15, 2026 Osun State governorship election, as authorities continue investigations into alleged electoral offences and attempts to disrupt the poll.

According to the police, 293 of those arrested have been released on bail after undergoing screening, while two suspects remain in custody for further investigation.

Force Public Relations Officer, Ani Iniedu, said the remaining suspects would be investigated further and prosecuted if sufficient evidence is established against them.

The arrests formed part of a large-scale security operation mounted before and during the governorship election. Ahead of the poll, the Inspector-General of Police deployed about 15,000 police personnel across Osun State to maintain order, protect voters and election officials, and prevent violence, intimidation and other electoral offences.

Security agencies had also recorded several arrests in the period leading up to the election. On election day, police authorities disclosed that about 100 people suspected of entering Osun from neighbouring Ondo and Ekiti states with the intention of disrupting the electoral process had been taken into custody.

In another operation before the election, four suspects were arrested in Modakeke, Ife East Local Government Area, over allegations including attempted murder, assault and unlawful possession of firearms.

Despite the heavy security presence, election observers reported isolated cases of alleged vote-buying, voter inducement, intimidation and disturbances in some polling areas. However, the exercise was generally conducted without widespread violence.

The police have yet to release a detailed breakdown of the alleged offences involving all 295 people arrested or disclose the identities of the two suspects still being held.

Authorities said investigations would determine whether the remaining suspects would face formal charges.

The development comes amid heightened public attention on the conduct and aftermath of the Osun governorship election, with security agencies reiterating their commitment to investigating electoral offences and ensuring that anyone found culpable is dealt with in accordance with the law.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *