
WASHINGTON/TEHRAN — United States President Donald Trump said on Monday that diplomatic efforts were underway to resolve the escalating confrontation with Iran, but Tehran denied that any direct negotiations or formal meeting with Washington had been scheduled.
Trump described the latest diplomatic initiative as Iran’s “last chance” to secure an agreement and avoid further US military action. He said discussions would focus on reopening the Strait of Hormuz and addressing concerns over Iran’s nuclear programme.
The US president had earlier suspended planned military strikes against Iran following appeals from Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, which reportedly urged Washington to allow more time for diplomacy.
However, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei rejected Trump’s account, saying Iran was not currently negotiating with the United States and that no meeting involving American and Iranian representatives had been arranged.
Baghaei said Tehran’s ongoing discussions were with Oman and centred on temporary arrangements for commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important maritime routes for energy supplies.
The conflicting statements have created uncertainty over whether indirect contacts are taking place through regional mediators.
While Washington maintains that diplomatic engagement is progressing, Iran insists that no direct US-Iran talks have begun. As of Monday night, August 3, 2026, there was no publicly confirmed meeting, ceasefire agreement or final diplomatic deal between the two countries.

Leave a Reply